The new block editor, Gutenberg, is packaged as part of the core in WP5. If your site uses another block editor plugin, it may not be fully compatible with Gutenberg (i.e. Divi, Visual Composer, Avada Fusion are a few). Elementor and Beaver Builder work fine with Gutenberg.
If you are not ready to use Gutenberg, there are 2 easy ways to disable it:
(1) Install and activate Classic Editor plugin: this will restore the original “classic” editor that you are already familiar with.
Full description on the plugin home page: https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/
(2) Install and activate Disable Gutenberg plugin: this works the same way as the Classic Editor plugin, but gives you more options for conditionally enabling posts, user roles, theme templates, and more.
Full description on the plugin home page: https://perishablepress.com/disable-gutenberg/
How to Install a Plugin
- Go to the plugins section of your WordPress site (click on “Plugins” in the left sidebar).
- Click on the “ADD NEW” button at the top of the Plugins page.
- Search for one or both of the above plugins (use the search field at the top of the page).
- Click the “INSTALL NOW” button.
- Once installed, click on the “ACTIVATE” button.
- Check the plugin settings. You’re done!
I’m taking care of the Gutenberg transition for all clients on my maintenance plan. Reach out to me if you have questions and need help!